It's a classic case of second child syndrome. Miss M had a darling nursery and, when we moved house when she was almost two, I spent ages designing the perfect little girl room for her to grow up in. Mr M got a sweet frog pond themed nursery for himself, but around age one I started adjusting it to suit his interests (cars, cars, and CARS) but it just never felt like it was coming together right.
I had a mishmash of furniture and decor that I kept trying to put together to make work but I couldn't settle on a colour scheme or a way to make his room cute and car-themed without it looking like a garage. I made him some sweet (and easy!) curtain tie-backs (tutorial here) with a car and bus, and a name art sign with cars (tutorial here) but otherwise it just felt thrown together; I think mainly because there was pretty much every colour in the rainbow in there and it came off as very haphazard.
Then, for Miss M's birthday, we surprised her with a (new-to-us) big girl matching bedroom set. She upgraded from her toddler bed, random night stand, and the purple dresser that used to be her Dad's that I updated last summer (check out that tutorial here).
As a result Mr M was now the proud owner of a purple dresser to add to his multiple personality room theme.
I finally took pity on our poor second child and decided to refresh the dresser again and, in turn, commit to a colour scheme for his room. After much waffling I decided to go with a bright green (Behr's Springview Green) to act as an accent to the navy blue rug with tiny multi-coloured polka dots that we nabbed at Target's going-out-of-business sale ("Target! Come back to Canada! I miss yoooouuuu!").
I pulled all the drawers out and took them to the garage, along with a little red table I'd scored at Value Village. They were all getting the green treatment. First thing was to unscrew the new handles we'd put on the drawers and then each surface got a good scrub down with the sandpaper. The little Ms were very (un)helpful with this part. I may have spent most of the sanding time diving after various pieces of sandpaper that kept heading for Daddy's car in the garage. Last thing was a quick wipe-down with a damp paper towel to remove any sanding dust and they were all prepped.
When I got the kids down for nap/quiet time, it was time to paint (squee!). The helpful folks at the home improvement store suggested I get paint with primer already in it (best invention ever - that coat of white primer is the boring-est coat to do).
I slapped a coat on each drawer and the table, then a second one the next day and they were done. Easy peasy. Hubby helped screw all the handles back in and I set them up in Mr M's room.
I am really digging the green against the white. The photo makes it look a little darker than it is but you get the idea.
I'm so pleased with how the colours all look together - bright and fun - and now his room is starting to feel like it's actually intentional and not just the random leftovers from his big sister. Plus it only cost me the price of a small can of paint to give him a quality, custom piece of furniture - double bonus in my books!